Sunday, October 17, 2010

"suboy" with papa

Tonight I took my girls in their matching jammies, to take Derek dinner at work. All the residents were pulling their help cords. Derek barely sat down to eat when someone elses room buzzer was going off. Then in came Peter. Peter has dimentia. Peter kept trying to take his pants off, asked a million random questions that made no sense at all, and got so frustrated at Derek when he told him to go into his room to use the restroom. Peter had taken his shoes off somewhere, he was walking around in just his floppy socks, with his pants pulled up a little crooked and food dribbled down the front of his shirt. Peter reminded me of my Dad. Tonight I drove home in tears, part of me wishing I could visit my Dad and take him some rarebit for dinner, and the other part of me, so thankful he's freed from what his body and mind had become. I wish I could go on a drive up the canyon with Dad to see the leaves changing color, and then we'd go on a walk to subway. Rylee loved going to "Suboy" with Papa, and so did I.









Our once a week walks to subway with Dad, will be one of my most cherished memories of his last year, and probably one of Rylees only memories of him. I miss him everyday.

1 comment:

Perschon Family said...

Those pictures are priceless! I'm crying hard now. I miss him too!!