"We are in an age when media puts into our heads the idea that only skinny people are beautiful, but I prefer to enjoy an ice cream with my kids, a good dinner with a man who makes me shiver, and a piece of chocolate with my friends. With time, we gain weight because we accumulate so much information and wisdom in our heads that when there is no more room, it distributes out to the rest of our bodies. So we aren't heavy, we are enormously cultured, educated and happy. Beginning today, when I look at my butt in the mirror, I will think, 'Good grief, look how smart I am!'"

I had to throw in this picture, its clear back from my wedding day taken by 2 tiny blonds who I call my sisters.
you can only see mine and Amys butts here, and boy can we show them! Lucy and Liz hid theirs and my sister in laws all have little butts...ha guess they're just not as smart as us! ;)
I love the last line because all of us "Blauer girls" have been blessed with what has been deemed the "Blauer Butt!" Our buts are big, and bubble shaped, and just might jiggle a little...ok a lot when we walk, so I'll take it if having a big butt means I'm smart :)! Butt...;) in all seriousness obviously its good to be healthy and eat a balanced diet and to stay active. I know all of this and I've worked really hard on doing those things, especially in this last year. I'll be danged if i'm going to miss out kiddy cone dates with my girls though, and movie time with big bowls of caramel popcorn. If I miss a work out night, to relax and spend time with Derek then so what! If I add a few calories to my day enjoying a treat with the girls then so what! I've told Derek one of the most important things in raising our girls is that they become strong confident women. As my daughters grow and develop into woman I hope as their bodies change, that they're confidence will be unshaken. I want their confidence to lay in the fact that they are smart, and talented and most of all amazing daughters of God. I hope as they gain that "freshman 15,20 or 30 whatever it be" or as they look at themselves in the mirror after having childeren that they'll be able to see past their physical "imperfections as the world likes to brand them" and see what I as their mom sees, and more importantly the beauty God has so perfectly created in them. I spent so much time even in highschool wishing I was skinnier and like all of us now I think heck I'd kill for that high school body! I've already spent so much time wishing away this stretch mark, or wishing these bigger, and that smaller, and I'm young, I have a long time ahead of me and I need to learn to love my body like I hope my girls will always love themselves. I'm thankful everyday for my girls healthy beautiful bodies and I hope they'll always take good care of themselves but if they can learn to see the whole entire picture when looking in the mirror, if they can learn to see themselves as God sees them, then one of my many jobs as a mother will be accomplished! In the meantime, I might work out tonight...I might snuggle with Derek and eat sweedish fish, guess we'll see!




4 comments:
Love it! I can relate oh so well to the big butt! I can lose all the weight in the world and my butt will still be big! And I have finally grown to love it! And so does Danny, so that's a bonus! :) You're girls are adorable!
I sooo love this post and know how it feels to have a "big butt"!!!! I always got teased in highschool for it! But, I like Elise have grown to love it also!! This post was super cute!
Katie...I love your blauer butt, i love your two beautiful girls, I love your two fancy cakes, and i love YOU!!!! Don't ever doubt that. Hope you are doing okay. By the looks of it, you are. And you are so so so freakin' skinny so don't ever think you are anything else.
excuse a mowa. how dare you use my butt as your example. and i have to add that luke was only 7 weeks old at your wedding so i had a good excuse for those extra 20 lbs on that there butt (and you know that is exactly where those extra 20 lbs go on me! crazy huh?) i loved your post. it really is SO true. i just wish i was better at finding a balance. i wish i were one of those people who could eat a handful of swedish fish and be done...or a handful of pb m&ms and be done...once i maintain my weight for a while i will be excited to start adding in the little treats. it is so fun to look forward to them. i hope i can do it with balance. and loving our bodies...so so true. i can only imagine the pressure you feel to teach your little girlies. i think you're doing great!!!
Post a Comment