Thursday, April 22, 2010

Found Joy in the Journey

(another long post about dad)
After 3 years battling with his stupid horrible selfish and frustrating disease my Dad has finally gotten to the point where his care needs are surpassing the abilities of my mother. As talk about having him go to a care center permanantly started coming up, I started feeling a strange sense of panic, like that I needed to go to Ephraim every week and help and that maybe I'd be enough help to keep him at home. At home in the home he worked his butt off to build, to pay for, to beautify, to make a safe place for 7 childeren and his wife to call home. He worked 39 years and as I see him now it doesn't feel like he gets to enjoy any of his hard work. I still have this sense of...I'm not even sure what to call it, helplessness, inadaquacy, frustration, anger, saddness...all mixed up in me. The last couple weeks it was all just talk until Wednesday night my mom got a phone call from the care center in Ephraim saying a spot had opened up for Dad. Within the next week or two we'll take him there. As I laid awake last night crying I tried to find some kind of comfort in memories of my dad. Memories where he experienced joy in his journey of life. I closed my mind and thought of funny things and happy things and pictures. Pictures of my dad enjoying his journey.

I always loved President Monsons talk about finding joy in the journey. Even with the simple life my Dad lived and with what his life has been in the last 3 years, I find some sense of peace knowing he found simple joy in his journey.
Here are pictures of the last 2 little trips I've taken to Ephraim with the girls.
Our sweet neighbor Dennis comes once a week or so, to play hymns on his violin to my dad, its amazing the peace his music brings into the room.
Theres two things my Dad enjoys right now, food...touch. So I made him his favorite Rarebit (gravy over toast) and I gave him a pedicure. I know the rarebit looks gross but its delicious and fattening and dad ate 2 whole plates :)
Right after my mom told us Dad would probably be in a home sooner then we thought, I called Derek and he came straight down after class. It was his night off and I had originally planned on driving back home but instead we spent the night in Ephraim and some special time with my dad, all of us together.
After my poor dad started undressing himself over and over all night and day, I found a sight online that made clothes especially for the elderly who start doing embarrasing things like that because of dementia. Anyway these are the awesome onesie pjs we ordered that zip up in the back so Dad cant undress himself anymore. I was so excited to find them, we ordered him an outfit too that looks like a polo and sweat pants but its a one piece jumpsuit that zips in back...pretty cool :)
Last but not least. All of us together. I was so thankful Derek made the drive down. This picture will always mean a lot to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had something comforting to say, but I don't. I'm so sorry to hear that your dad isn't doing very well. This post is so sweet. I'm sure he is proud to have a daughter like you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. From experience its not easy losing someone, and I'm sure this is the most difficult thing you've ever gone through. If there is anything I can do (like watch your kids so u can spend time with him)for you, please let me know. We'll be thinking about you!

Brittany said...

Oh you are such a good daughter, so thoughtful! I am sorry he isn't doing well. Those pajamas are awesome what a great idea!

Our Family said...

wow Katie I get teary eyed to think of the emotions you are going through!! But I also see such love you have for your dad and that is something so special to find with our parents!! What sweet pictures of your family with your great DAD!! sorry to hear he will be having to move to a home sooner then you planned.

Unknown said...

So glad you got these pictures. I hope each of the family members will read this entry.

Atwood Ohana said...

holy cow...i just camped out on your blog for what seems like an hour just catching up. no internet at our house so i have to try to sneak on at jake's office once in a blue moon. well...your family is beautiful as ever. and your dad is in our prayers. i love you so much and what you are doing for your dad is so incredible. you have been there through it all and i know deep down he knows it and wishes he could tell you how much it means to him. love ya sweetie!