Tonight as I sat with my friend Tara and we talked about everything under the sun, she shed some amazing advice on me. I don't think she even realized it was something so profound to me but I always want to remember this point of view so I'm blogging about it for myself and my family. Go ahead and read on if ya want :)
We talked about things like how theres never a time where we fill like we're "good enough" moms, and how theres always room for improvements as a parent. We talked about how irritating it is to be an emotional woman, to want to eat our emotions, and how frustrating it is to plan out life and then the plan backfire. We talked about how funny it is that men can never find things. We obviously talked about a million random subjects inbetween breaking up fights of our tired kids. The thing that really stuck with me though was when we started talking about the gospel. I always love talking to Tara about the gospel. She has such a strong testimony and it shows in so many ways to me. She does the work that is required to keep a testimony strong. She takes her 2 cute boys to church every sunday all 3 meetings by herself a lot of the times sense her husband works graves and when we started talking about how hard church is alone with kids she said this...(i'm paraphrasing :) "If my kids dont get GEDs, if they aren't the best athletes, if they dont get college degrees, and aren't wealthy, then yes their earthly lives will be a struggle financially and I'm sure in other ways too, but if I don't teach them to love and live the Gospel, then that will effect them for eternity! Forever her view on teaching her kids the gospel with stick with me. So many times in life we get SO caught up in such trivial things...who has nicer clothes, whos house is bigger, whos kid is smarter, faster and prettier, and on and on. Not saying its a bad thing for our kids to excel in acidemics and athletics and in every aspect of their lives but as my daughters grow I want to always remember whats most important, and help them gain their own strong testimonies in the gospel. All the "worldly" things in this life we'll leave behind. Its my biggest job as a mom to teach my kids about the things that really matter, and thats something I'm going to work hard to do. Derek and I are working on getting our Temple recomends and taking the Temple prep classes. I cant wait for the day wether its in 4 months or another year or 2 for us all to be sealed together. Tonight I'm thankful for a good friend who lives in a beautiful home where I could feel the spirit tonight. Tonight was something I really needed.
Way too LONG...
13 years ago



4 comments:
she put it well!! i'm glad you had a good night after such a long week!! hang in there!!
Katie I love those awesome talks. That gave me such warms fuzzies when I was reading this. We need to hang out. Seriously sounds like we sooo much alike. :) you R such a good person. Good luck on the temple.... I am routing for ya.
Thanks for writing this! It was a great reminder!
And one thing is for sure: nothing is worth putting all your time, effort, energy, and work into as much as getting your sweet little family to the temple! Those hours, days, and years of work are what will bring you peace every time you lay your head down at night.. knowing you are a family for eternity. No one can take that away from you if you do your part!
Love you girl!
I saw this title a few days ago and wondered who you were talking about! I just read it and you bring me to tears because of how you say you saw me that night! I fall short so often but to know that one night I did or said something right means a lot to me! I always love our talks too and hope to have many more! I hope you're doing ok, again let me know if you need anything!
Post a Comment